John is a globally recognised Operations Director with strong business acumen and proven capacity to optimise all operational aspects of a business by striving to improve quality, productivity, and efficiency. He is a trusted leader and business partner adept at mentoring and coaching individual managers to build team’s abilities and support attainment of agreed indicators related to financial and operational performance. Poised to establish solid relations with internal and external stakeholders to drive company-wide planning processes and add positive effect to the bottom line. John possesses current SC Security Clearance and regularly works in the nuclear sectors.
John instigated led the linking together of a 2600 strong engineering team, pioneering the introduction of cross market Communities of Practice linking the skills across 26 geographic regions and 5 independently accountable operating business serving 9 distinct market sectors saving >£3m through tangible benefits
In another position he established a new business stream in a consultancy organisation, growing the team from zero to over 120 in 4 years and built a successful and high performing sector with turnover going from zero to £18m in a short period.
Amentum/AECOM, Director of Operations – Board member UK & International Businesses
Appointed to position to ensure effective governance of global businesses, assuming full responsibility for all fiduciary and statutory duties. Provided comprehensive leadership to 12-leaders in implementation of best practices. Monitored individual team performance to identify opportunities to strengthen outcomes of operational processes. Oversaw relocation to new premises after sell off of AECOM management services to private equity investors.
• Spearheaded the company’s response to COVID-19 pandemic by creating policies, protocols, and operational procedures necessary to ensure compliance with new ordinances.
• Led dialogue with project stakeholders that resulted in attainment of 14-year, £2B framework from high-profile client within defence sector.
• Proved highly effective in instituting governance programmes that strengthened assurance activities and strengthened accreditation processes.
• Member of the Management Services HSSEQ global leadership and Functional Area Co-Ordination Teams leading best practice to meet UK legal compliance
Mace Group, Sector Director & Head of Energy Business
Owned full responsibility for delivering business targets and securing contracts for this international consultancy and construction company. Oversaw development of strategic business partnerships with industry stakeholders. Integrated key tenants from sector business plan to target clients and generate leads for new business.
• Chartered new build and decommissioning activities within UK Nuclear Sector, growing annual turnover from zero to £18M in just four-years.
• Succeeded in establishing and growing highly profitable energy consultancy business from no employees to over 120 in 4 years.
AMEC Plc , Major Bid Leader
• A core member (from partner selection to share transfer), of the URS/AMEC/Areva Sellafield Parent Body Organisation bid team, that led to the award of the £1.5bn per annum contract
Business Performance Director
• Established business KPI’s from the strategic and operational performance goals establishing real data upon which to make informed business decisions.
Capability Development Leader
• Pioneered the introduction of cross market Communities of Practice linking the skills across 26 geographic regions and 5 independently accountable operating business serving 9 distinct market sectors resulting in inter-region and inter-company knowledge management networks. Recognised by the board as saving >£3m through intangible benefits
Laing O’Rourke, Head of Process & Energy Europe
Mowlem Engineering Projects, Business Change Agent