Marine Engineering & Surveying
John has over 40 years experience in the maritime industry as a marine engineer and, latterly, for the past 15 years specialising as a marine consultant and surveyor in the highly regulated offshore support sector, demonstrating a unique and detailed knowledge of the offshore energy and associated support industry, accompanied by strong analytical and problem solving skills; sound commercial awareness; considerable project management experience and the ability to adapt to many differing working environments.
Recent projects/assignments have included:
▪ Numerous warranty surveys for clients including Petrofac and GDF Suez.
▪ ISM/ISPS audits for Vroon Offshore Services; North Star Shipping.
▪ CMIDs for Stork Technical Services; Calegeo; Chrysaor; Premier Oil.
▪ Vessel assurance/CMID for BP, Shell, Total, Centrica Energy; Stork Technical Services; Vroon; Premier Oil.
▪ On-hire surveys for BP/Bibby Maritime; Petrofac/Chevalier; Stork Technical Services; Calegeo; Vroon.
▪ Condition Survey on Wind Turbine Generator Floating Foundation Unit for Kincardine Offshore
▪ Marine representative for Shell; Centrica Energy; Maersk Oil (Anchor Pre-Lay and Rig Move)
▪ Other audits and surveys including Bridge Team Management Audit (Centrica); Helideck Survey (Maersk
Oil); Ship to Ship Fuel Transfer System Survey (Dolphin Geophysical)
▪ Delivery/redelivery vessel assurance for Stork Technical Services.
▪ Engineering projects, for example Chief Engineer conducting FPSO Sailaway and DP trials for Maersk also identification and resolution of a recurring Azimuth thruster failure on a DSV barge which could have had serious commercial implications for the client.
▪ Engineering contract to provide maintenance/repair services for Bibby Maritime’s accommodation vessels in Shetland, involving liaison with the client to identify needs; sourcing contractors and
negotiating fees and supervising contractors to ensure work is completed to the required standard and timescale.
▪ Incident and accident investigations for Stork Technical Services (collision investigation); Bibby Ship Management (marine casualty investigation)
▪ Head Office ISM audit for Stork Technical Services, involving extensive pre-planning to identify areas of interest.
▪ Expert Witness reporting on the commercial and operational suitability of offshore support vessels.